You’ve probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. But eating with kidney disease can be complicated and it can be hard to know what to choose.
In this post, we will break down a kidney friendly breakfast and provide several ideas for a flavor packed breakfast.
Key Nutritional Considerations for Renal Diet Breakfasts
Breakfast is a great time to add fruits and vegetables! The added fiber will help your digestion the whole day. It will also help keep you satisfied until lunch, or your morning snack! A healthy source of fat is also a good way to get your morning started. For those with higher protein needs, adding a plant based protein option like quinoa or tofu to breakfast can help reach those protein goals.
- Egg or Tofu Veggie Omelet: A protein-rich omelet made with eggs and packed with kidney-friendly vegetables like bell peppers, spinach, and mushrooms or choosing tofu instead of eggs for a plant-based option.
- Overnight Chia Pudding: A nutritious and easy-to-prepare breakfast option using 1 tablespoon chia seeds, 1 cup of your favorite plant based milk, and fresh berries. Chia pudding is packed with fiber to support healthy digestion.
- Quinoa Breakfast Bowl: A hearty and protein-packed bowl of cooked quinoa topped with sliced fruits, chopped nuts, and a drizzle of honey.
- Smoothie: A refreshing smoothie made with fresh or frozen fruits and veggies like berries, spinach, and oat milk (or other plant based milk). If you do not have a potassium restriction, this can be a great place to add higher potassium fruits like avocado, banana or mango
- Oatmeal with Apples and Cinnamon: A comforting bowl of oatmeal cooked with water or plant-based milk, topped with diced apples and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Tips for Success
If choosing a quicker option such as a granola bar or frozen food, be sure to look for added sources of phosphorus in the ingredients list.
What are your top must haves for breakfast? Does it have to be fast? Portable? Tasty? Take those into consideration when planning what you will choose.
Planning breakfast in advance can save time and help you get your day started right! Still not sure what to choose, work with a kidney nutrition expert to help you get started.